About The Role
As Product Manager at Symplectic, you will be responsible for a range of product development and community engagement activities. You will work collaboratively with the development, implementation and support teams to plan, prioritise, and deliver high-quality features and functionality. You will also work closely with our customers to understand their needs and deliver compelling customer engagement activities.
The Product Manager will have the opportunity to work across the whole system development cycle from conceptualisation through planning, development, delivery and support. When prioritising development, you will work across strategic projects, technical innovations and customer feedback, balancing individual customer needs with global requirements. As a member of the product team, your day-to-day tasks will encompass a wide range of activities.
At Symplectic we strongly believe that product management bridges development and customer engagement. As the Product Manager, you will work actively with our customers to build relationships and engage them in our product development activities. You will be responsible for creating and maintaining engaging content to maximise adoption of the Symplectic solutions and work as a part of the product team on wider engagement strategies.
The Product Manager reports to the Senior Product Manager at Symplectic as a key member of the Product team.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual who is independent and can work effectively as a part of a collaborative global team. You will show initiative and be eager to share your ideas and learn from others, and take pride in producing high quality work. You will be excited by the prospect of working as part of a cross-functional team. You will have an ability to prioritise tasks effectively and thrive on variety.
You should have excellent English verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with clients clearly and persuasively. You should be an excellent relationship manager who enjoys spending time with clients, understanding their challenges and excelling at finding innovative and robust solutions which address client needs.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly engaged and collaborative team player. We don’t expect you to be an expert in product management and research information management, so you will receive support and training to help you be successful in the role.
A knowledge of software development processes (such as Agile) and project and product management tools (such as Jira or Trello) would be beneficial but is not essential.
The key responsibilities of the Product Manager include:
- Identify, specify and validate requirements for current and future product development through market research and customer feedback in collaboration with the Symplectic team.
- Proactively perform day-to-day coordination of team member tasks within the product development cycle.
- Ensure development work is documented and monitored accurately within JIRA and other relevant systems.
- Be a product expert by learning, retaining, documenting and communicating relevant product history.
- Work with the Support Team to assist with customer support including troubleshooting and resolving customer queries.
- In collaboration with the Product Team, produce product roadmaps and contribute to the future strategic direction of Symplectic’s products.
Communication and Engagement
- Creating and maintaining engaging content to maximise adoption of the Symplectic solutions.
- Work with the product team to create and implement customer and development partner engagement strategies.
- Undertake site visits and online meetings with current and prospective clients to gather feedback for the product development process.
- Creation and delivery of compelling communications to maximise the adoption of the Symplectic Solutions through face to face training and webinars.
- Provide visibility to and inspire confidence in all stakeholders, both external and internal, with respect to our product roadmap.
- Support Sales and Marketing and represent Symplectic at our annual user conferences as required.
- Contribute positively to the overall team dynamic; participate in stand-up meetings, join planning and design sessions and participate in retrospectives.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of research information management as well as in related systems such as digital repositories, open access, researcher profile systems.
- Contribute to the development and continual improvement of integration processes and practices.
- Work collaboratively with Symplectic and Digital Science colleagues on wider company goals as appropriate.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working with complex systems involving large volumes of metadata especially research related systems.
- Experience in customer relationship management and communicating strategically with customers.
- Experience in managing a community with a specialist knowledge domain (eg. a community of practice or defined user group).
- Strong leadership skills demonstrated through experience leading projects and/or small teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong presentation skills and the ability to create engaging content for face to face customer training and webinars.
- Highly developed organisational skills and ability to work with a high level of autonomy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage change and adapt projects in response to changing customer requirements.
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in, or knowledge of, software product management.
- Experience in, or domain knowledge of, research information management.
- Knowledge of user-centred design principles such as using personas and user stories.
Further information about this role
- This position is based in London, UK.
- This position is full time, based on weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with scheduling flexibility available around core working hours. This role may be suitable for flexible working arrangements, subject to approval.
- This role may require some international travel.
Symplectic is the world’s leading developer of integrated research information management systems and their flagship product Elements is used by hundreds of thousands of researchers based in universities and other research intensive organisations across the globe.
Created in 2003 by four friends studying for their PhDs, Symplectic has now grown into a successful international business, with over 30 employees spanning 3 continents – but it still retains the cultural feel of a startup.
Symplectic is part of the Digital Science group of companies, all working towards making research smarter, more collaborative, and more efficient.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org